Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

Twilight

Synopsis:
Bella Swan's move to Forks, a small, perpetually rainy town in Washington, could have been the most boring move she ever made. But once she meets the mysterious and alluring Edward Cullen, Bella's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. Up until now, Edward has managed to keep his vampire identity a secret in the small community he lives in, but now nobody is safe, especially Bella, the person Edward holds most dear.

My Thoughts:
First, the good news - I enjoyed the plot. Bella moves to a crappy little town and meets a gorgeous boy, Edward, who turns out to be a vampire. She wants to be with him, and he wants to be with her, but that puts Bella in danger in more ways than one. I can see why so many teenagers like this book (and so many girls) :). I also really enjoyed Stephenie Meyer's writing in the sense that it is so fluid. It's one of those books that I pick up and in no time I've read 100 pages just because the writing flows so well.
Now the bad news - the combination of the character Bella and the book being told in first person narrative drove me up the wall! Maybe if the story would have been told from third person, I would have enjoyed it more, but who knows. I usually don't have too much of a problem with reading first person narratives, but all of Bella's internal dialogue was too much like a junior high student to me...yes, I know she is in high school, and at that age everyone pretty much only thinks about the opposite sex, but it just made her seem really shallow and mundane.
Bella got on my nerves so much, I haven't been able to pick up the next book, but with much coaxing from friends who are addicted to the series, I have a copy on hold at the library. If I'm that annoyed with Bella after New Moon, I'm giving up on the series, and waiting to watch the movies.

Rating: C

No comments:

Post a Comment