Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Child of My Heart by Alice McDermott

 Child of My Heart

Originally Reviews 5/12/09

Description: Fifteen is a year of clarity; you're still one of the kids, but you're finally beginning to unlock the mysteries of adult behavior. In her luminous novel Child of My Heart, Alice McDermott's narrator is a 15-year-old girl who has two qualities that give her access to the secret lives of adults: she's beautiful, and she looks after their children. Her beauty has already shaped her life. Her parents have moved the family to the east end of Long Island in hopes of finding her a wealthy husband, or at least a fancy crowd to run with. Here she babysits the children of the rich, whose fathers demonstrate their relative decency by making passes at her, or not. The novel spans a dreamy summer as our heroine spends her days with her various charges at the beach, happily leading her crew on home-grown, rather sweet adventures. Among the kids she looks after is a toddler whose father is a famous, aging artist. Child of My Heart is a pretty straightforward coming-of-age novel, but it's marked throughout by this beautifully honed, wry, knowing tone. McDermott's narrator reminds us that our lost innocence might not have been so innocent after all.


My Thoughts:
I thought the story was nice and well written, and I liked the characters. The plot, I thought, was very anti-climactic, and left so much unsaid. The two major events that happen to the main character both happen with at the very end of the book, and there was no talk afterwards as to what effects they had on the character. Overall it was just an average read, and I was a bit disappointed.

Rating: C

No comments:

Post a Comment