Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: Men I've Dated - Shane Bolks

 The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Men I've Dated

Originally Reviewed 6/21/09

Description:
Rory Egglehoff has always been a geek. She has built her life around her Star Wars addiction, relating all of life's triumphs and travails to what she's learned from watching the movies. She's clumsy, smart, and a hopeless romantic. When her childhood crush walks into her office, Rory decides that she's had enough with dating Wookies and sets out to snag a Jedi Knight of her own. With the help of her best friend, she undertakes a plan to get Hunter Chase to notice her and invite her to their high school reunion. The plan works, but Rory still believes herself to be the geeky outsider and is still so in awe of Hunter that she loses a bit of herself as she wrongs her current boyfriend, neglects her family, and denies her very essence. Rory's so scared of rejection that she can't bring herself to tell Hunter that she already has a boyfriend, that she's a vegetarian and has a hippie mother, or that she's obsessed with Star Wars. Once he realizes that she hasn't been entirely truthful, he breaks off their relationship, and it looks as if Rory will once again be alone. In the end, though, she learns an important lesson about being true to oneself.

My Thoughts:
At first I was worried that all the Star Wars references were going to get on my nerves, but they actually became one of my favorite things about this book. They were quirky, and made really great sense when relating Star Wars to dating. However, I did find myself wanting to throw the book across the room with how insecure the main character was. I am the first to admit that I have insecurities, and I know how they can affect your love life, but I felt the author really took it to the extreme, especially for a character that's in her 30's. She doesn't even want to tell her crush that she's a vegetarian for fear that he will think she's a freak and never speak to her again. Overall, this was a cute story, but the main character tended to get on my nerves.

Rating C

No comments:

Post a Comment