Sunday, August 17, 2014

Memories...

Originally Posted 6/26/14

Today I was sitting in my car at lunch, listening to the radio and Fleetwood Mac came on (Dreams for those of you who like the little details) and I instantly went back into time. I was about 12 or 13 and my dad took me to Yesterday Disc, which is a local used music store (I think they are still around, but not for sure) and I bought Fleetwood Mac's The Dance. There was nothing particularly special about that trip or that cd, but it just made me think of my dad and just miss that father daughter time we spent together.

I definitely got my love of music from my dad, and I find myself scrolling through radio stations hoping to hear something that will spark a memory that I have of him. Don't get me wrong, I have no lack of memories, or have trouble remembering, but with it only being 5 months without him, it's nice to just have the radio pick one or two for me.

When I hear Def Leppard, I think about the time I took him to that concert as a father's day gift. It was a year after mom had died and it was just the two of us.

When I hear Van Halen, I laugh because Dad joked that he was pretty sure he was switched at birth because he has the same exact birthday as Eddie Van Halen. Had he grown up with that family, he would be a huge rock star.

When I hear ZZ Top, I remember him and mom taking me to see them for my very first concert. I remember how dad had all of their CD's (or records, if you will). I remember one time dad winning something off the radio for correctly guessing a ZZ Top song - I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide - but I don't remember what he won.

When I hear Eric Clapton, I think about how I was so excited to get you those tickets for Christmas, and we went up a day earlier than we had originally planned so we could go see B.B. King as well. I remember at the Clapton concert he was sicker than a dog.

When I hear Sugar Ray, I remember how the person I was supposed to go with flaked out on me and I was so upset because I bought these tickets and didn't have anyone to go with - so my dad took me. I'm pretty sure he did not enjoy himself very much, but it made me happy.

One of our favorites, Jonny Lang, was coming to town at the end of February with Buddy Guy and I know dad really wanted to go, but neither of us had a lot of money to go. I remember sitting at his hospital bed when he was in a coma and intubated trying to bribe him to get better. I told him he had to wake up because WHEN he did I would buy both of our tickets to go see them.

Whenever I go to a concert, or am even jamming out to a song I think about him. He passed this appreciation and love of music to me, and now I  hold that as a very special gift that not everyone has. At this point in time, it can make me upset and sad, but I am truly glad that I can just turn on the radio, and be transported back to a time that we spent together.

No comments:

Post a Comment